Skip to content

Plants That are Poisonous To Dogs

You may have heard that there are many foods and objects that can poison your dog, but did you know there are many plants that are toxic to pups as well? Today our emergency vets in Windsor, Connecticut discuss the many plants that are poisonous for dogs, the symptoms you should look for, and how they can be treated.

What Plants Can Poison My Dog?

There are many plants that can make your dog sick and can be potentially deadly for your pup, which is why you should always keep them from chewing any plants or vegetation outside or in your yard because what can be safe and beautiful for you can be toxic for your canine companion.

Below our emergency veterinarians have listed some of the plants you should keep away from your dog at all cost and if your pooch does encounter any one of these items bring your dog to our 24-hour emergency animal hospital in Windsor, Connecticut: 

Sago Palm

Every part of this plant is poisonous to dogs but, what makes this plant even more dangerous is that dogs like the smell of this plant and can enjoy eating them. If your pooch ingests this plant it can cause liver failure and potentially death.

Milkweed

This is a beautiful plant however, it can have a severe impact on your dog's health causing rapid or weak pulse, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, nausea, and even death.

Mistletoe

Mistletoe is very beautiful and can be found in many homes during the winter holidays, however, if you have a dog please skip this holiday condition at all costs. If your pup accidentally eats one or two of its berries it can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and drolling. In the event, your canine companion eats a larger quantity of this plant it can cause collapse, seizures, abnormal heart rate, low blood pressure, and in more serious cases death. 

Oleander

This is a lovely and common ornamental shrub especially in coastal and drier regions of the states. This flower contains many toxins throughout the whole plant including cardiac glycosides, nerioside, oleandroside, and saponins. If your pooch ingests any parts of the plant it can cause diarrhea ( which may contain blood), vomiting, hypotension, incoordination, breathing difficulties,  hypersalivation, comma, and possibly sudden death.

Foxglove

Another common plant found in gardens that, can have serious effects on your dog however, the severity of the symptoms can vary based on the amount your pup has consumed. These symptoms can include tremors, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, heart failure, and death.

Autumn Crocus

You have to be very careful with this plant because it has a non-toxic twin of no relation called 'spring crocus'. The autumn crocus has many dangerous effects and almost every part of this plant is toxic. Its symptoms don't always show up immediately and can take serveal days to appear which can include diarrhea and vomiting (both can contain blood), bone marrow suppression, kidney and liver damage, seizures, shock, respiratory failure, and possibly death. Because it can take days for these symptoms to show you may not know the cause of your dog's illness. Always keep your dog close by and on a leash if you are in a yard or garden when these plants are present.

Rhododendron / Azalea

There are many varieties of this plant that can be found all across North America however if you have a dog DO NOT plant this lovely flower in your garden because every part of this plant is deadly and can make your dog extremely sick. Some of it's symptoms are hypertension, muscle weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, increased drooling, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, central nervous system depression, coma, cardiovascular collapse, and death. 

Tulips

Tulips are probably one of the most popular spring flowers you see planted in gardens at home and in public parks however if you are a dog owner we highly suggest keeping this plant out of your yard. The petals on this plant can upset your pup's stomach and the bulb itself that you plant in the ground is even more toxic which can cause an upset stomach, loss of appetite, and depression. 

Some other plants that are poisonous or toxic to dogs are:

  • Allium
  • Japanese Yew
  • Holly
  • Perrywinkle/ Vinca
  • Perrenial Pea or Sweet Pea
  • Water Hemlock/ Cowbane/Poison Parsnip 
  • Castor Bean / Castor Oil Plant
  • Maleberry / Staggerbush
  • Marijuana
  • Tabacco
  • Rhubarb
  • Ivy
  • Mushrooms (ones that you don't think are safe)

We have only listed a handful of plants that can be poisonous to dogs and therefore there are many toxic greens out there. Please call our 24-hour vets in Connecticut if you believe your dog was in contact or ate a plant you believe may be dangerous.

Symptoms of Poisoning From Plants

As we said there are many plants that are dangerous to dogs in the world and we only mentioned some of the most common therefore, you as a pet owner should be aware of the most common symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs. We understand it can be hard to determine which plants are safe or dangerous, that's why we have listed the most common symptoms below:

  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Changes in Urine
  • Skin irritation ( if they touched some dangerous plants)

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog contact an emergency veterinarian because plant poisoning requires urgent care and the symptoms above can also be a sign of another serious condition. The sooner you call your vet the sooner your dog can be diagnosed and treated.

Treating Dogs That Have Been Poisoned

When you bring your dog to the vet bring notes of the symptoms your dog is displaying as well as a sample or photograph of the plant they have come into contact with.

The treatment your vet provides for your dog will depend on the plant they were exposed to or have ingested because all toxins are different. However, treatments your vet could implement include:

  • Antitdoes ( if one is available for the specific plant)
  • Stomach pumping
  • Induced vomiting

Do not induce vomiting on your pet unless you are told to do so by your veterinarian. Always call your vet as soon as you suspect your dog has been in contact with a toxic plant, your veterinarian will provide you with instructions on what you should do to help your pet while you are on your way to the animal hospital. 

If You believe your beloved dog has ingested a poisonous plant please bring them to our emergency animal hospital in Windsor, Connecticut as soon as possible. You can also contact our emergency vets with any questions you have about the poisonous plants in your area.

Looking for a vet in Windsor? We're accepting new patients!

(860) 688-8400